Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Couple of LOs and a Tutorial

Happy Tuesday everyone! Today I'd like to share a couple of LOs I created this past week. As soon as I saw the new Jack and Jill papers by Prima, I knew I had to scrap a photo of my kids. For the large circle in the background, I distressed a doily and layered it with pattern paper and Prima pearl trim. The little boy and little girl were cut out of the designer paper and mounted on pop dots. I titled it Hermanitos (siblings).




Love these Gallery Roses by Prima with the newspaper print!








The next LO was made using the gorgeous papers from the Road Show collection by Fancy Pants. The big die cut paper was created using the Gypsy Wanderings Cricut cartridge. I played up the beautiful rust and turquoise colors of the floral design to build my page and choose my embellishments. I really wanted to make this page very girly hence the femenine accents such as the dressform, the cameo and the crochet trim. Read on to see how I created the faux lace border. Enjoy!





Don't you just love that cameo? It came from a hair tie I got at the dollar store! To add dimension to the crochet trim, I scrunched it up in random places and adhered it using hot glue.




Paper Lace Border Tutorial

Punch along the edge of your paper using an edge punch. This technique will work with different border punches but I used Marth Stewart Doily Lace border punch (my favorite).


To add texture, ink your punched border with a complementary color.

Use a trimmer to cut out your punched border allowing an inch and a half of space.
 

Cut up your border at every scallop. 

Run your tape runner along the reverse side of the die cut shape you'd like to use, then simply adhere all the scallops upside down.

Hope you give it a try, this technique is fun and gives your die cut papers just enough difinition. Have a great week!


6 comments:

María Castillo said...

Ya te dije en SB.com que me contaron, pero el borde no se me hubiera ocurrido que lo hicieras así. Gracias!!

Stay True To God said...

Great tutorial Jolaine... thank you!! I'm definitely going to try it!! Your layouts are awesome and your babies are adorable!! :) God bless & big hugs... Tracy

kelly said...

Your work is stunning Jolaine. The colours are fabulous.

Kelly

"The Jule Box" said...

:) Thanks for stopping by my blog..and for the comment!!

I wanted to then see what you've been up to! I love these LO and the tutorial...I love it girl! I will def do this one!! Thanks so much for sharing it!, Love the "Hermanitos" LO..tooo cute! TTYL, Jules:)

GinniG said...

OMG!!!! I've always wondered how that was done! So SIMPLE!!! I love that punch too! Off to play!

Lynn Barwald said...

Jolaine! I love this technique! Thanks for sharing. I also love the idea, on your first layout, of using a doiley under something else. Very clever! Lynn B