Monday, March 15, 2010

Santa Mail Keepsake Box


Before

After
I know what you're thinking, Santa? Aren't we in Spring? Yep, but... I had this project on my desk for awhile and I finally finished it. I wanted to make a keepsake box to keep all those letters Emily's written to Santa Claus before I loose them. I'm hoping to give them to her when she's older and doesn't believe in Santa anymore, say 35 or so! LOL!

K and Company's Evergreen collection had the vintage feel I was looking for, for this particular project but really, the sky is the limit. Using papers in a musical, rock theme can result in a cute keepsake box for concert tickets, you could also make a similar project to store mementos from a special trip, menus of restaurants you went to on romantic dates, and the list really is endless.

1. Begin by removing all of the hardware and painting the inside using acrylic paint. I used a dark shade of red.


2. To cut the paper for the top and bottom of our box, place the paper of your choice over the lid and run your finger on the edge of the lid to create a crease that will act as a cutting guide. For the sides, simply measure the height and cut a strip the same size. I used a 3 1/2" strip for the side of the lid, and a 4 1/2" strip for the side of the base. I did need to cut an additional piece of paper because the 12 inch length was not enough to go around the box. That was no biggie though. To adhere the paper to the wood, just spread a thin layer of Modge Podge over the surface, place the paper over it, and let dry for a couple of minutes.


 3. Once you have cut your paper to shape. Use an emery board to sand all the edges and ink in a coordinating color.


4. Add your choice of embellishments. I used ribbon, stickers, poinsettias, and a couple of jingle bells. I also used Stickles and Glossy Accents to add dimension.



That's all folks! This project was so much fun to make, and easy too!! I hope you like this idea and give it a try. The video below will give you more details. Thanks so much for stopping by!






1 comment:

MarĂ­a Castillo said...

Me encanta! Que importa que nose anavidad! Ya casi es... solo faltan... 6 meses!!