Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Candyland Inspired Birthday Party

Hey there my crafty friends,

Today's post is not so much about scrapbooking but it's certainly related to paper crafting. I wanted to share how I used my scrapbooking supplies to create a candy inspired party for my son's first birthday. I got so much inspiration from this amazing blog so I had an idea on what to keep my eyes open for.

It was soooo much fun planning and creating all the goodies. I tried to do things here and there on the weekends not to feel bombarded right before the party.  I was very pleased with how everything turned out...




The picture frame mural was cut using my Cricut and Small Wonders paper by K and Company from Michaels. Frames, title and flourishes were cut on my Cricut using the Storybook cartridge. The frames were cut at 10" while the flourishes and title were cut using the Fit To Page option.

This worked out great; my mom loved it and I plan to give it to her. Since the frames already have holes on them, I'm just going to use a ring to turn it into a quick brag book.







To offset the candy buffet table and background, I made a birthday banner by cutting circles with my Coluzzle and stacking them together. I then cut the letters on the Cricut with the Alphalicious cart at 6.5". The last step was to punch holes with the Crop-a-Dile and string red grossgrain ribbon.

I used a minimal amount of adhesive because I'm planning to pull it apart  in order to reuse the cardstock and pattern paper  to make a birthday mini album later on. By the way, the cardstock I used was a Recollections 8.5x11 pack from Michael's in primary colors and the pattern paper was Bright Stripes by the Paper Company Studio bought at AC Moore. The ribbon was also from Michael's.


I'm a kid at heart so I really enjoyed putting together this candy buffet. Some of the apothecary jars I already owned and others I bought at Home Goods. All the candy was purchased at BJ's, except for the rock candy and the jumbo swirl pops. The small salsa containers were a lucky find at Walmart.


Guests took candy home in these bags. I bought them at Michael's as well. I typed a simple rectangular tag on Word and printed it on regular white cardstock, then matted it on the same striped patter paper I used in other party elements. The tag read, "Thank you for being so sweet!" The picture frame in the back read, "Having you at my party has been a real treat... Please don't leave without some sweets."


The cake was an amazing creation by a super talented mom I met in my local moms group. I was really impressed at home beautiful and whimsical it came out.



I wanted the centerpieces to be fun and bright and I needed to stay away from flowers because, of course, the party was for a boy. To keep the candy theme going, I used cardboard vases from Bloombox and styrofoam to keep the candy upright. A strip of pattern paper gave it the finishing touch. To cover the styrofoam, I brushed it with Modge Podge and glued in shreded red paper I found in the Easter section at Michael's.



Quick tip, I purchased the First Years Take and Toss sippy cups for the younger children and cups with straws for the older ones at Walmart. They weren't that expensive and helped me avoid sticky floors! I adhered a mailing label to each one and provided a washable crayon so everyone could write their names. This worked out great! Last time I had juice boxes for the kids, by the time I blinked, there were 20 half empy juice boxes and spilled juice every where.

To make the cupcake toppers, I drew a 1.25" circle in Word with various text boxes and used a 1.5" circle to punch it out. I then cut 2" scallop circles on the Cricut using the Alphalicious cartridge. I assembled them with a 4" lollipop stick found at the baking section at Michael's. If you plan to use this idea, let me know so I could upload the file.





The goody bags were just a kit that contained a toothbrush and tooth paste. I was thrilled to find these in the travel section in Target. They were a big hit at the party.



Some more pictures:









More:

All of my dining room furniture and couches were moved to the garage.
The furniture you see in the pictures was rented from our local party supply store.
In a different room, I set up a kiddie pool filled with balls for the babies to play in. I also had a Candyland board game and Candyland Castle game for the kids to play with.

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading this LONG post, whew! It's now back to the drawing board for me, I have thank you notes to make, and Emily's birthday is in six weeks!!!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto your blog. This party is very similar to what I plan on doing for my sons 9th Birthday. Your ideas are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing them!

Sweetly Sweet said...

Everything looks great, good job!!! Can't wait to see pictures of the party using my Sweet Berrylicious collection, make sure to send them to me!

Janet said...

This is just so happy and sweet. I adore the idea of a candy table. Great ideas!